CommonGround is a group of farm women who volunteer their time to share information about farming and food. Nearly 200 women from more than 20 states, including Minnesota, volunteer with CommonGround.
Together, this group of women raises a variety of conventional and organic crops, livestock and produce. We share our personal experiences, as well as science and research, to help you sort through the myths and misinformation surrounding food and farming.
We hope you’ll join the conversation.
MN agriculture fast facts
- Population: 5.4 million (Rural: 23%; Urban: 77%)
- Farm land: 26 million acres (51% of total land area)
- Number of farms in Minnesota: 74,542
- Average Minnesota farm size: 349 acres*
- 26% of Minnesota farmers are women
- Women farmers in Minnesota: 27,802
- Economic impact of women farmers: $397.7 million
*1 acre is about the size of a football field
Sources: MN Department of Agriculture, US Department of Agriculture